18.5.11

Prayers and Birthdays

16th of May

Today a group of people went to the Holy Cross Monastery in Rostrevor to discuss and pray about the future of the Loom, our prayer space in north Belfast. The monastery we visited is a Benedictine community and they came to Northern Ireland 1998 as a response to a call addressed by the Church to monasteries of contemplative life to engage themselves in the mission of spiritual ecumenism, rooted in prayer, conversion of heart and charity, in those corners of the world where Christians are divided.


When we arrived we were welcomed by brother Thierry who showed us to a room where we were about to spend our day, pray and talk to each other.


We started out with looking back at the history of the Loom: how it started and why it started. Then we all got a chance to say what we thought the Loom meant to each one of us and also any vision that we had for its future.


Through the day we also took part in the daily prayers in the chapel. I haven't been to that many monasteries and neither am I used to the catholic tradition. I liked trying something new, and there is something very peaceful about a group of brothers sharing their lives with God and each other.


Later brother Thierry came to our "conference room" and shared about their own journey about how they started the monastery. It was an amazing story. We also talked about living in the presence of God.


I think that at the end of the day we were all very inspired and convinced that God wants us to keep praying in the Loom.


We send thanks to the brothers of the Holy Cross Monastery that welcomed us, and we will keep praying and believing that God will provide.


My best memory of the day that I will bring with me is that even when I don't know how, or even want to make an effort, God is already there waiting for me. He is just as real then as when I can feel his breath on my face. Loving me more and more.


-----------------

Birthdays!!!


This month (May) we are celebrating a lot of birthdays. That means a lot of breakfasts in bed and a lot of parties! Last weak it was May's 20th birthday. And next is Thomas and Matthew in the same week! I think we can look forward to a lot of fries and burgers. Happy birthday guys!!!


By Julia (a volunteer from Sweden who has been in the community about 6 months)


The whole gang out to celebrate May's 20th birthday!

The birthday girl herself!

No comments: