25.11.10

Giving Thanks from Megan

You've not heard from me in a while. I have been out in the wilds of Belvoir, Beaver, Bella Vista, underemployed and thinking about life. Our dear friend and former founding houseleader, Geert Kint, wed the lovely Nele in Flanders a couple weeks ago and I had the pleasure of attending alongside Larry, Jillian, Maria, Thomas, Aodh and Scott. The event provided opportunity to reflect on what the past 9 years in Belfast have given me for which I give thanks. Noah was a tiny boy, like Aodh, when we first met Geert. Aodh was a tiny bump and Octavia a wee girl when we met Nele. Aodh was a tiny baby on Nele's lap last time we saw Geert and her. Families grow and friendships do the same. (See Noah's new big face below.)

The photo of Larry and Octavia was taken at his birthday prayer last month. They share October birthdays. Even though Larry looks as youthful as ever you can see that Octavia is getting older by the day. She is the same age as Larry's nephew who I saw yesterday. When I was visiting with his nephew the boy's mum said that she'd never seen Larry so happy as he is in L'Arche. My guess is that she has no idea how deeply her statement reached into my hear. Larry is not just my friend and a fun, car-loving friend to my children. He is also happy because we are here in L'Arche where he has found a home. Friendships make us at home as they grow.

Life is full of challenges (see Twisted Guts below. Whether real twisted guts or the poisonous version fed to many a child at Halloween, Twisted Guts are bad news. This pack was fished out of Octavia's Halloween Basket. She relished it.). But there is beauty here, too. Keeping the balance is what we strive to do. Tallying up the gifts and joys is one way of remembering that blessings are not always preceded by a big bow or a public announcement. Just at the moment I am making a list prayer, from the school of Larry Gourley, as a prelude to Thanksgiving dinner at the Ember:

Thank you for friends, pink cars, twisted guts, Makiko's miniatures, Gosia's big bead necklace, forks, TVs, babies, assistants who love kids and art and coffee with Jillian, Common Grounds, May's Potter mania, a laugh with Matthew, Bubbles, autumn leaves, Jenny's cookies, Sharon's little crafts around the Ember and all the things that have marked me this year that I am forgetting.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: